Saturday, June 30, 2007

lightening strikes......

a really crazy storm was rolling in, on Thursday, I was in the garage getting some things out of the car, so the garage door was open. It was raining and thundering a lot, and then all of the sudden this loud clap of thunder and lightening struck, it scared the crap out of me. I thought it must have hit something, because of how close it was. Then I began to smell a burning, I immediately ran out into the pouring rain to do a survey of our house and make sure it was not on fire. I looked all around and didn't see any flames, but the smell was getting stronger, and at this point I thought I was seeing smoke. So, I ran inside, and went out the back door to look at the back of our house, nope....no fire. Then, I came inside again, at this point I am soaked, and I can hear the fire trucks. So, I called Brian, because he was at the station, and he wanted me to look in the attic, so I pulled down the attic stairs to make sure no smoke was coming out....nope.
My mom was here and she was holding baby J while I was running around like a crazy woman. I went back into the garage, and there was a giant German Shepard standing there.Oh, crap it scared me! I turned right back around to go back into the house, and he started to follow me. I couldn't close the garage door because my mom's car was blocking where the door could come down. I waited a few minutes, then I opened the door to see if the dog was gone...nope, he started walking toward me again. I closed the door, then I thought that I need to find the owner of this dog, my neighbors next door and across the street both have one so I thought it might be one of theirs. And I wanted to go see what got hit by the lightening, so I grabbed a rain coat, and the diaper bag, and my mom, baby J and I got in the car and the dog started following the car. Which made my mom freak out because I was going to get out and knock on my neighbors door, she kept saying, what if he bites you????? Then luckily the neighbor came out and called the dog, so we drove away.
Back to the lightening, it struck a house in the next neighborhood which is probably only 5 or 6 street away from our house. This house had orange flames shooting out, and the roof had already collapsed. People were everywhere. And one of our neighbors and her husband (who is also a fireman) where there, and all I hear, as this fire is blazing, is Cindy screaming "Cameron, get back here right now!" to her son who's riding his bike down the middle of the street thru all the emergency vehicles, the best part was as she was screaming her son's name, she was marching down the street in the pouring rain with no shoes on. It was sooooo funny.. But in a way it was embarrassing to be her neighbor at that moment. Well, the sad thing is that someone lost their house 2 days ago.
Brian and I drove by yesterday, and the family was out with shovels, we stopped to ask what we could do to help, and we gave them our number. Then Brian dropped me and the baby off at home and then he went back to help the family salvage some of their stuff, for about 2 and 1/2 hours. Please keep this family in your prayers. They will be displaced for sometime and the have children so the kids are taking it really hard.

No comments: